Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

January 25, 2011

Is Kanye West Releasing His Sixth Solo LP Too Soon?

Yes. The end. I’d be an asshole if I ended my post there now wouldn’t I lol? Last night, during the Chicago Bears disappointing lost to the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship game, Yeezy tweeted up a storm about how excited he was in releasing his joint project  Watch The Throne with Big Bro Jay-Z, the release of his “All Of The Lights” visual in one week and of course the obvious: the release of his sixth solo project this summer.
Upon reading the news of the arrival of Ye’s newest creation, I thought this can’t be true. Maybe Ye’s just drunk of the Goose while watching the Bears, which he was, so the excitement sort of rushed his soul like he did that pale lil country gal during the VMA’s last year. But, he confirmed it with another Tweet saying his new album will hit this Summer. Hmm, tooooo soon Yeezy.
Let’s break down the time frame for Mr. West’s five previous projects, shall we? Ye’s first effort The College Drop Out dropped February 10, 2004 establishing Ye as a serious double threat in the game. I mean we knew he could rap, but not like what he displayed on his debut. Moving forward: Late Registration hits about 13 months (April 30, 2005) after the debut. Another masterpiece lyrically and production wise from the Chi-Town native. Yeezy ushered in singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist Jon Brion to further the already proficient sound of Kanye West which earned the rapper a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album, but was also nominated for a slew of other Grammy Awards including Best Album of the Year.
16 months later (September 11, 2007), along comes Graduation, Kanye’s third solo LP, which in my opinion is Kanye’s best album to date. Receiving much critical praise, Ye outsold 50 Cent’s Curtis LP by 300,000 copies in their Battle of the Titans release day competition.  A feat well deserved. 14 months down the line (November 24, 2008) Yeezy hits us with the somber composition 808′s & Heartbreaks, a project infused with the wallowing sounds of a broken heart, memories of his deceased mother and auto-tune, a device Yeezy still much uses today. The project wasn’t a favorite of mine. Well that’s not entirely true because when I’m reminiscing over a certain someone, I’ll throw it on. I digress. Forget I even said that. Damn it, LOVE! I hate you! Ok,  I digress.
Almost two years later (November 24, 2010), Yeezy unleashes the powerful, subjective, potent and long winded effort My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, a project where Yeezy exposed himself to the CORE. Probably on the same level as 808′s but with more lyrically driven content and a harder and authentic sound. Whatever Ye’s been through over the past two years, he detailed it in Yeezy fashion. His love affair with Amber Rose, the boldness of interrupting Taylor Swift on that VMA stage and its affect on him mentally, not understanding his position in this industry let alone this universe and everything in between. Not to say we marvel at human destruction, but Ye’s downfall made for some GREAT music.
So now here we are….January 24th, 2011 and Ye’s already preparing another musical tale for our earbuds to get lost in. Let’s not forget the release of Watch The Throne which is scheduled to hit this March. God only KNOWS what to expect from that project. And if you follow my opinionated thoughts on this page and/or my Twitter account, you already know how I feel about the first offering from the LP. What will Ye’s story be this time? Where will he take us? Are we so use to Mr. West’s struggle with society that we’re not use to the positive Ye? Could it be we’ve grown accustom to this type of behavior?
Is it fair to tell Ye to disappear for 12 to 24 months to create a 12 track opus that we’ll play over and over and over or do we welcome this rush of excitement? I can’t imagine the creative playing field he has set up for Watch The Throne, so can you ponder the playground he’s going to run rampant on for the summer release?
Personally, let Watch The Throne do it’s damage. Don’t abandon that humongous effort that could be deemed as one of the greatest collaboration projects to hit our speakers. But again, who am I to cage creativity. Is it fair to tell me to not post for 12 hours because I killed niggas with one post? Damn sure isn’t. I’m going to continuously kill the competition no matter what anyone tells me. I mean experience is the best teacher so if anything Ye could only learn from this situation if it turns out negative. And if it doesn’t…..well let’s just hope it doesn’t.
What do you guys think? Too soon or right on time???

No comments:

Post a Comment